As the car is going to be a racing car, I decided that I did not need the central locking, electric windows. These circuits are all part of the E36 body control module, also known as the ZKE IV. As I have also removed the air conditioning I could loose the wiring for this also. The radio wiring went a long time ago. Due to the car needing to go on a specific day to have its cage fitted, I removed most of the wiring blind (not tested, but removed in a methodical manor), so todays test staart was a important one to pass, as it was the first time I tried to start the car since removing the parts of the loom. The test was successful it worked. The first time I turned the key I got nothing, but I tried again and it worked fine, I think it must of been the EWS system getting reacquainted with the key, as its memory of the key could of been lost whilst disconnected for over 2 months.
I also fitted the aluminum bulkhead panel I had previously made, so I do not have water leaking into the passenger compartment from the engine bay, this also stops any fumes, or fire passing into the passenger compartment. Currently its held in-place through 4 bolts, I want to change this so it uses ‘rivnuts’, this will make it simpler to remove if required, I also have a gasket to be attached to it so it seals perfectly.
The jobs that are still left to do are as follows :-
- Fit the fire extinguisher system, this is on order and I have gone for an electric trigger system.
- Fit the lightweight battery, I have gone for a Varley redtop battery, this will be located in the rear passenger footwell, near to the fire extinguisher, and tidy up the rest of the wiring loom.
- Fit the EBC brakes that I have previously brought from www.ebcbrakes.com.
- Fit the new coilover suspension that I have from www.blackartdesigns.com.
- Get my rims painted in the same colour, I have one set orange and one set white at present.
- Fit a battery isolator, cutoff switch.
- Put the dash back in, as this is a requirement of the Kumho championship (www.bmwrdc.com).
- Put in the seat and a harness.